Sunday, November 22, 2009

Turkey Early

Today we celebrated Thanksgiving early with some of our neighbors. Since we have no plans for turkey day, this worked out well. I made stuffing and two pies. The pie recipes were from Southern Living magazine and were quite good. I'm not brave enough to make my own pie crust, so used the ready-made from the grocery. I just have to remember to let it come to room temp before unrolling! I am feeling very full and uncomfortable, so will head to bed to read instead of sitting up.
The wind was ferocious last night. It started about 2 A.M. and didn't let up until late in the morning. Some trees came down on Walking Wood north of us, but we just had branches and cones hitting the roof over our heads. I'll be interested in seeing how strong the winds were. Seemed worse than last week.
" Hurrah for the fun, is the turkey done? Hurrah for the pumpkin pie!" Part of a song my grandfather used to sing :)

3 comments:

  1. I just tried a "no fail" pie crust... and it was (no fail). From America's Test Kitchen:
    1 1/4c all purpose flour
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 Tb sugar
    6 Tbs cold unsalted butter, cut in slices
    1/4 c chilled solid vegetable shortening, cut in pieces
    2 Tbs cold VODKA!
    2 Tbs cold water
    Put 3/4 flour and other dry ingredients in a food processor and mix. Then add butters until a dough starts to collect like cottage cheese. Scrape around, then add the rest of the flour and mix about 4-6 more pulses. Empty into bowl and add water and vodka. With spatula, fold until mixed, slightly tacky but sticks together. Shape into 4" disk, wrap in plastic and put in fridge 45 min (or a few days). Roll on floured surface until 12" and about 1/8"thick. Refrigerate (again) until firm, then trim edge or flute, line with foil and weights (I use dry beans) and bake 15 in at425', then remove foil and beans and bake 5-10 min until golden, or fill with pumpkin....

    Way better than store bought. And the recipe came via my mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recipe! I'll have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Three years ago I posted the whole song/poem, and I was so interested to read all the words. If you'd like to see it:

    http://lettersfromahillfarm.blogspot.com/
    2007/11/todays-poem-by-lydia-maria-child.html

    ReplyDelete