Monday, August 23, 2010

This Body of Lies

It's always satisfying to read a new book by an author you've enjoyed over the years. The first Elizabeth George book I bought was in a book store in Trafalgar Square many years ago. At the time I assumed that George was a British writer since the books were based in England. At any rate, I've always liked her books, although as A Garden Carried in the Pocket noted, the last two weren't as good. I have liked the TV series, but never felt that Lynley was cast properly and Havers was much too pretty! But when I found I could order This Body of Lies from The Book Depository I jumped at it.

It's a hefty book - 594 pages - and it took me a week to read it, even though I stayed up late reading. It is very good. The 'mystery' is quite involved, but the characters make the story.

Now it's on to another author I learned about on a blog - Susan Hill. I've read some of her books already, and this is her latest, I believe - The Shadows in the Street. What fun to have good books waiting on the shelf! And the bonus of bloggers telling about new authors.

2 comments:

  1. Yay! You posted a book review!! :) I really need to read something of Elizabeth George's. 594 pages would take me about a month these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So funny, just a few moments ago I read the same thoughts on Elizabeth George (disappointing) on Bibliophiliac's blog. I haven't read enough to form an opinion, only With No One As Witness, so I'd be happy with your find as well.

    ReplyDelete